Thursday, January 12, 2012

Run, Forest, Run

I mentioned a few posts ago that I am working towards my goal of running a 5K. While that goal has been a little delayed because of our move, I am happy to report that I am working towards it full force now and have been for about 3 weeks or so. My friend, Lacey and I have decided to tackle the goal together. It always makes it nice to have an accountability partner. We even signed up for our first 5K race at Epcot. It's the Disney Royal Family 5K at the end of February. I plan to run (ok, realistically, jog) the whole way. No walking. I don't expect to win, just finish.

I want to prove I can do it and I want to be a good role model for my son. See the thing is, I have issues with following through with things for myself. I have great ideas and lofty expectations, but after about 2 weeks, I'm done. Now, if I am working for someone else, I have great follow through and will put my whole heart into it (makes no sense, I know). I want to make this goal the exception and the start of finishing things for me!

Now, back to running, I have to say, I am enjoying it much more than I thought I would. I mean, 3 weeks ago I was dying after jogging for 30 seconds and today I ran 5 minutes straight and a total of 16 minutes with short walking breaks between. I know I still have a way to go to reach 5k status, but I'll get there.

I have heard that exercise is a natural anti-depressant, but I have never experienced it for myself. I have exercised on a regular basis and besides weight-loss, I can't say that I noticed anything else. If you have read some of my previous posts, you know that I have struggled on and off with postpartum depression. There are days when I am great, and others when I am not so much. I have also been diagnosed with PMDD (which is terribly embarrassing, but since I'm using this as my therapy, it's ok!) which is a monthly struggle. HOWEVER... since I have been running, I have felt GREAT. Seriously, I wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't experiencing it.

From the day I had Moose, all I have said that I just want to feel normal mentally again (back to my old self) with out forcing everything and I am happy to say that running has brought that back for me. Don't get me wrong, I have an AMAZING God, hubby, son, family and friends who have all helped tremendously, but the running has given me that final boost. I can't really explain it but my mind is clearer, I am more at ease and way less stressed out.

I can't thank my hubby enough for supporting me and helping out more so I have time to run, and Lacey for darn near killing me by pushing me to my limits when we run together.

All in all, I am super excited about the 5K next month and I will definitely write about my experience... that is, if I survive...

Plus, if I am ever going to have a second child, I need to get this goal out of the way and hopefully it will help me be in the best shape ever!

To the moon and back,

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I'm the same way with follow through so having you has been a huge motivation. Now the funny part is little do you know I will be dragging you to the Disney Marathon next door after our 5k, lol. Hahahahaha (sorry the the thought of me collapsing .5 miles into a marathon is too funny not to laugh)

    ReplyDelete