Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Low-Cal Enchiladas

So, in an effort to save money and calories, I have been cooking more. I really do love to cook, especially when I can make stuff up off the cuff. My hubby says I have a knack for it. I love the challenge of looking into my fridge/cabinet and coming up with something unique and tasty with stuff I have on hand.

Tonight, I decided on my version of enchiladas, which were of the venison persuasion. Now, if you aren’t a fan of bambi (as my hubby calls it), you can substitute extra lean ground beef, ground turkey or ground chicken.  I choose venison, one because it’s a lean meat and two because my brother-in-law blesses us with a ton of meat every hunting season. I have a very southern upbringing and come from a family of hunters, so I am not fazed by it. In fact, my mom raises a cow every year and takes it to market so she has a freezer full of fresh, hormone free and antibiotic free beef (all cuts-ribeye, ground beef, roast, stew meat, etc…)

Anyway, on to dinner…
4 Huge Servings (Less than 400 Calories Each)!
Venison Enchiladas

1 Can Low Sodium Black Beans (15 oz)
4 Cups Stewed Tomatoes
½ Cup Chopped Onions
1 Can Ro-Tel - Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies (if you aren’t a fan of heat, skip these)
1 Cup Frozen Spinach
8 oz Ground Venison
4 Ole High Fiber Low Carb Tortillas
2 Oz Cabot - Cheddar Cheese 50% Reduced Fat
1 tbsp Argo - Cornstarch
2 tsp Chili powder
Salt & Pepper to taste

Pre heat the oven to 350. In a skillet brown the ground meat with the onions, salt and pepper. In a separate pot, heat the stewed tomatoes, Ro-Tel tomatoes, spinach and chili powder until boiling. Once the meat is browned, drain any grease and then add the black beans. Now that the tomato mixture is boiling, mix the cornstarch with a little water until it's blended. Slowly stir the cornstarch into the tomato mixture.  Take half of the tomato mixture and add it to the meat mixture. In a 9x13 pan spoon in a layer of the tomato mixture to cover the bottom. Divide the meat mixture in to four and fill each tortilla shell equally then place in the pan. Pour the remaining tomato mixture over the enchiladas and then top with the cheese. Bake until cheese is browned.

Super yummy! I added a little guacamole to mine. I served mine with a side of veggies, you could also top it with some shredded lettuce and a few chopped raw onions.

Enjoy! I shall now relax and enjoy my peppermint mocha flavored coffee.... Ahhhh....

To the moon and back,

No comments:

Post a Comment