Monday, January 14, 2013

New Found Energy

This is how I spent New Years day, with 52 other yogi's
I'll start this by saying that I have never officially done yoga in my life.

With that being said, my friend (who happens to be my neighbor) told me about this 21 day yoga challenge. The premise is simple, 21 days straight of yoga for only $21. You can go to any class that you want as long as you do one class a day. You can miss one class, but if you do, you have to double up the day before or the day after. Seems easy enough, I mean yoga just looks like a bunch of stretching and meditation, right??

Ok, I was a tad naive to say the least. While yoga is a lot of stretching, self reflection and meditation, it is so much more than that. For one thing, the hot classes are about 90 to 95 degrees (at least at this studio) and warm classes are between 85 and 90. Oh, did I mention the 65% humidity? Yea, about 5 minutes into the class and I look like I have taken a shower with my clothes on. Another thing, some of the classes are very fast paced, to the point of cardio. What's worse is I don't know if it's harder to do the fast paced classes or the ones where you have to hold the stretches and poses for ridiculous amounts of time. It's crazy.

But you know what's crazier? I like it! Some may say that makes me a masochist, to them I say I'm just trying to get into shape and this challenge has been a good kick start.

Let's face it, I'm not getting any younger, I mean, I'll be 25 this year, *couch* *cough* (amazing that I have been in a relationship with my husband for 17 years, yet I'm only 25... forever 25...) and I need to lean out this fatty tissue and to take care of my heart. Not to mention, we want to have another baby soon and I my goal is to stay active while I am pregnant. I have better odds if I start out active.

On a side note, I have had amazing amounts of energy lately. Saturday, after morning yoga, the hubby and I took Moose on a 12 mile (decent paced) bike ride on the beach and Sunday (when I could have been napping) I spent 4 hours in the kitchen prepping for the week and cleaning. Today I came home from work and (finally) went through our Christmas decor and paired it down and reorganized and tonight after yoga I jogged/walked 2 miles on a local bridge and then cam home and cleaned up the kitchen. It's a great side effect!

Next month, I'm going to take the challenge again, at a different studio. Maybe I am crazy... but don't knock it until you try it!

to the moon and back,

No comments:

Post a Comment