Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Mommy time...

Why is it that when we become moms, the rest of our lives cease to exist? I realized (as soon as we told people we were pregnant with Moose, really) that I am no longer Jen, I'm Moose's mom.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being Moose's mom and there is nothing in the world would ever make me want to change that, but why are moms expected to lose their individual identity? Not that our husbands expect us to, not that our friends expect us to and not that our family's expect us to, but WE expect that of ourselves, whether consciously or sub-consciously. We put alot of pressure on ourselves to be "super-mom", whatever that means, and lose the things that made us "us" to begin with.

I love having "me" time. I crave it. I need it for sanity's sake (and my husbands sanity, for that matter), but I always put it on the back burner. Oh, there's laundry to do, oh, there's dishes to do, oh, there's work to do. Whatever, there will always be "something" to do, but why is it so hard to put all of that stuff down and just take time for ourselves. To do the things we love, to spend time with a friend (one on one), to read a book, to go for walk, to go shopping (for ourselves not our little ones)...

A good friend dragged me out of the house yesterday to have some much needed girl time at the Prime Outlets. It was a day filled with talking, window shopping, frappacino's and trying on shoes, all of which was AMAZING! Which made me wonder why I don't take time to do it more often and why must all of that be filled with feelings of guilt because I left the little one with my hubby, or my mom, or a sitter?

Time to just be me, ahhh.... Time with my new obsession, pumpkin anything (except pie) and toasted almond latte's from dunkin donuts (not that I can actually afford to purchase one!).

Maybe it's just me who feels this way, maybe I'm the crazy one, but I don't think so. Again, I just think its one of those things we don't talk about much. This week, I'm going to try to make it a point to make time for me. I'll let you know how it goes...

Here's to us, mama's and a little bit of "me" time!

No comments:

Post a Comment