Monday, September 28, 2015

Just Say "No"

Yea, yea, yea... it's been over a year since I've blogged.

Recap of the year before I officially start writing this blog:

  • Son turned 5
  • Got pregnant
  • Went on vacay
  • Had someone total my car
  • Bought a new car
  • Had a super rough pregnancy
    • 3 sinus infections
    • 1 upper respiratory infections
    • 3 yeast infections (TMI)
    • 1 bacterial infection
    • Severe heartburn
    • Chronic sciatic pain
    • Preeclampsia
    • Low amniotic fluid
  • Had to replace our washer
  • Had a super cute baby boy
    • Fought jaundice for 2 1/2 weeks
    • Now dealing with his possible hernia
  • Had to replace our couch that was worn out from sleeping on it through 5 months of pregnancy
  • Had to replace our washer again
  • Son started kindergarten
  • Son turned 6
Tada... That's it in a nutshell (I think I covered everything)

Now on to the post at hand... Just say no!

To what you ask?
  • Drugs!
  • Cigarettes!
  • Alcohol! (Ok, maybe not wine)
  • Caffeine! (What!?! Wait did I type that??)
  • Throat punching that annoying coworker!
Those are all pretty easy to say "no" to, right? What about those difficult questions?
  • Can you pick up an extra shift or two?
  • Can you lead this group at church?
  • Can you ask for donations for that school thing?
  • Can you collect goods and deliver them?
  • Can you wash my car?
  • Can you babysit my kids?
  • Can you do an emergency tracheotomy?
Those are a little harder to say "no" to, right? Well, maybe not the last one, unless of course, you're a surgeon. And, honestly, why wouldn't you be? This is a very educated blog that attracts very educated readers...

I don't know, maybe it's just me that has a hard time saying no. Why is it so hard???? I've heard it said "Every 'Yes' is a 'No' to something else", but I don't even think I get the opportunity for an inadvertent "no". Somehow, the more I try to pair down my schedule, the busier it gets.

Don't get me wrong, busy is great when it comes to my business (thank God for help!), but it's all the other stuff that consumes every minute of every day! There's the normal routine stuff school drop off and pick up, baby drop off an pick up, work, homework, dinner, laundry, lunches, etc... But then there's the school events (storybook parade, fall festival, fundraising, etc). And then there's church groups women's ministry, small groups, family events, etc...

But Jen, doesn't God want me to do... uh... stuff and things? (Yes I did just make a Walking Dead reference) Well, yes, He certainly does, but He wants you to do them with a good heart and if you are all angsty and bitter about said deeds, then He wouldn't approve. If your "yes'" are taking away from the important things (glorifying Him, your family, friends, career... probably in that order, too), what good are they.

Being busy and making people happy just for the sake of being busy and making people happy, is no way to live. Really, I'm not one to talk, I'm totally writing this for my own sake and if you all get something out of it, too, then fabulous. How about we find something to say "no to this week?

Also, if I ramble, I'm sorry I'm not sorry.... And if I've loosely written on this topic before (maybe here?), get over it, that was years ago and I'm too old to remember.

to the moon and back,

No comments:

Post a Comment