Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Paradigm Shift

When did I become the old one in the group?

I graduated high school at 17 (my mom got me into kindergarten early) so I was always the youngest in my class. That, in turn, made me the youngest when I started college. Then, I went to work for a small uniform store and, yep, you guessed it, the youngest there, too. My next job was for an attorney and I was the youngest there by far. At my next job, I worked for a local builders association and even though there were at most 4 employees, we had at one point over 650 members. Other than Greg (who even though is a few months younger, definitely passed as older than me because he was prematurely balding and had an unnatural obsession for politics) everyone I worked with was older than me.

I have always been the baby. I'm not saying that's a good thing. It made me work harder to prove myself, but it always made me feel like no one took me serious, because "what could she possible know, she's just a child" (by the way, I typed that in my best fake British accent because it sounds more condescending). I have carried that complex with me, even into my 30's.

But then something happened... I got involved in my church and a small group. I have been fortunate enough to meet some of the best friends I have ever had through that small group. However, one of the first times we hung out outside of our small group was on a New Years Eve, which just happens to be my birthday. I made a comment about it being hard for me to write the correct year when I'm writing out 12/31/whatever because I want to put 12/31/79. One of the girls there (who is now one of my very best friends) said "Oh, I didn't know you were that old." What? Sheepishly, I said "I'm not that old." Completely embarrassed, she said "Oh my, I didn't mean it that way, I meant, that you just don't look like you could be that old. Oh dear, that doesn't sound right either, I didn't mean it in a bad way!" Sure, you didn't, Sarah... I got ya... ;)

That solidified it... I am the old one in the group, in the words of Greg, I have dust in my shoes...

The bad part is that it has transferred to my job, too. I'm not the oldest, but I'm not the youngest either. I know I couldn't stay the youngest forever, but maybe I should start looking for a new job... like at a nursing home... or a diner or something.

Anyway, it's getting late please excuse me as I grab my cane and head to the kitchen for some Ovaltine and prunes to enjoy while I finish my Sunday crossword.

to the moon and back,

1 comment:

  1. I heard you wrote a remix..."Old as Ice" It goes like this...."you're as old as ice...you're willing to sacrifice bengay...you'll never take advice...now ur back will hurt all day" nice work...

    ReplyDelete