Friday, October 7, 2011

"What?" not "Why?"

Several months ago, my brother-in-law (who is a phenomenal preacher) did a sermon on asking "What?" instead of "Why?" It's a great idea, the basis of which is when something bad happens, ask yourself, "What can I take from this situation?" or "What's the best way to turn this situation around?" instead of asking, "Why me?" or "Why did this happen?"

None of us know God's plan (man wouldn't life be simpler if we did!), so none of us will ever be able to answer the "Why" question with any certainty. We can, however, answer the "What?" question because that's our experience and what we are taking from it. Plus, asking "Why" can be more of a way to wallow in your own self-pity instead of trying to take ownership and change the situation.

Now that I have said all of that, I have to say I am still horrible at this whole question thing. My mind instantly goes to "Why, why, why.... woe is me... WOE IS ME!" I know it's all about changing my mindset, but man is that hard. After all it's been the only mindset I have had for 31 years, you know, the whole old dog/new tricks thing.

My family's life has been stressful lately, to say the least. We have lots of stuff going on all at once and I tend to look at it and go "Really? Cause I need more on my shoulders right now? Why can't anything go right?" but I know I am not the only one stressing and I should be asking "What can I do to help this situation? How is Jon feeling about all this? Is there something I can do ease the worry on his end?" I know I need to have faith, but when things seem to be going bad, it's hard not to say why. As in, "Why can't I strangle the driver in the car in front of me?"

Ahhh... life, with all of it's ups and downs, is worth it, especially compared to the alternative!

Here's to asking "What" not "Why"!

No comments:

Post a Comment