Saturday, September 2, 2017

90 in 90

 

Back in May, I saw that my local yoga studio (Kula Yoga) was offering a couple challenges for the summer. One was a 30 day challenge, 30 yoga classes in 30 days, and the other was a 90 day challenge, 90 yoga classes in 90 days. I've done a few of the 30 day challenges, in fact I did one in January, but a 90 day challenge?? Could I do it? I doubted it, but I talked to the hubby about it and always the one to support my dreams, he said "If you feel it's what you need, then go for it."

I definitely needed it, but could I commit? I mean, it's definitely a commitment. Between travel time and class time it can be over a two hour commitment for just 1 class, plus working around child care, soccer schedule, work schedule, church schedule and so on.... However, I rationalized it by saying, "Well, even if I only go to 10 classes, I have more than made my money back." So that settled it. I signed up.

I'm going to be very superficial for a minute, I really did it to lose weight. I wanted to look better. Sure, getting stronger would be nice, being disciplined would be great, but I really, really wanted to look better in my skin.

What I didn't expect to find was community, not really anyway. I mean, sure I've heard the cliche about yoga communities and such, but I'm not in the "in" crowd. It's true, though, the more classes I finished, the more people I met and the more they rooted me on and checked on me each class. "How many are you at now?" "How are you feeling?" "You are doing so great!" "You look some much stronger in your poses!" Plus, the teachers are great. The come around in class and adjust your posture, they are fantastic encouragers and they know how to push you through the "discomfort"!

I've also heard yogi's talk about their "journey" and being present and I thought, "ok, whatever". But again, it's true. The more yoga I did, the more I could still my mind. I know how crazy that sounds. I'm focusing more on the positive and have been in better moods. I've been eliminating things that make me anxious and stressed and I find that I have more time and patience for the important things. Breathing.... Being still... Being present...

So, I know you are wondering, did she? Didn't she?? Did she lose weight? Does she even care about that anymore?

1. YES!! I did it!! 90 yoga classes in 90 days, even with a vacation squished in. I had to double up classes to meet the goal.

2. As far as weight loss goes, I've lost about 10 lbs, but the change in my body and my clothes is huge, far more than the scale shows. Take my advice, ditch the scale.

3. Nope, I don't care about the weight loss. Sure it would be nice to see the number move, but I have gained so much more. And I'm not just BSing you. I'm saying "no" to more, letting people walk over me less. I have more confidence and I am so much stronger in my practice (not perfect, but that doesn't matter).

That's it! Will I do it again?? Absolutely, if Jon doesn't kill me.... I'm even contemplating teacher training...

I can.
I will.
I am.

This was about 4 and half years ago at the first day of my first 30 day challenge, also my first yoga class ever.


to the moon and back,

No comments:

Post a Comment